I can't sleep, so I decided to write about my day. In 2nd period TA (teacher advisory), we were supposed to have a lesson about choosing a career. We went over a bunch of questions, and then I tried to give some career-choosing wisdom to my 9th graders. They sort of listened. I told them they should try to find something that makes them happy, and then they wondered why I was teaching. That kind of surprised me--they are under the impression that I hate my job. PROBABLY because I yell at them everyday for being stupid punks who can't shut up and listen for even one second. I don't actually use those words...it's usually some variation of "stop talking and listen! This is important!!" I've only used the words "shut up" once. Today. And one of them actually stole a computer chair when the bell rang and kicked it down the hall. I was busy prepping for 3rd, so I didn't witness any of this, but one of my 7th graders identified the culprit on my picture seating chart. He can't respect my chairs? Fine. He doesn't get to sit in one tomorrow.
I digress! I told my 9th graders the truth. Yeah, there are days I hate my job. But if I didn't love it, I wouldn't be here. I really truly enjoy what I do. I do something different every single day, which is great for my ADD brain. I play with computers, learn new software, invent random devices like the pin-picker-upper to make my job easier, make giant dome-shaped animals to put on my ceiling. And I love my kids. 7th period, for example, is totally out of control and yet I've never had such a good rapport with a class before. I'm totally comfortable with them, which means I can be myself and be that much better of a teacher. Several times today I stopped and just basked in how much I love what I do.
I don't think the 9th graders believed me, though. Oh well. I have a whopping 8 days left with them before the new semester starts. I will try to yell less.
Thursday, January 5, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment