Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Adventures in Paradise

Finally feel like I have something to blog about, so here I go!

I went to Kauai for a week!! I've never taken a vacation like this before and it was an incredible experience. The island was gorgeous, the people--tourists and locals both--were SO nice, and I loved swimming in the ocean, even though it (the ocean) kicked my butt a whole lot.

Instead of writing a wordy blow-by-blow account of my trip, I will tell you what my favorite parts were...

1. Best Shave Ice Combo: Coconut and any other 2 flavors, with Macadamia Nut Ice Cream

2. Best Fried Calamari: Keoki's Paradise, Poipu Shopping Center, South Shore

3. Best Beach: Kiahuna Beach

4. Best View: Waimea Canyon, West Shore


5. Best Waterfall: Wailua Falls, East Shore

6. Best Glass Gallery: Kela's...A Glass Gallery

7. Best Way to Swim in the Ocean: Get a body surfing board and let the waves carry you around



8. Best "Hidden Gem": Kipu Falls on East Shore

9. Best Jungle Adventure: Trail to Queen's Bath, North Shore

10. Best Way to Get Pummeled by the Ocean: Kneel down on the shoreline right as a big wave hits!

11. Best Place for Pretty/Affordable Jewelry: Auntie Lynda's Treasure at the Coconut Marketplace in Kapa'a

12. Best Weird Food: Puka Dogs--get the Coconut Relish

13. Best Place to Get Dirty: Pihea Trail, at the end of Waimea Canyon Dr.

14. Best Sea Tour: Sea Breeze Tours, Anini Beach on North Shore


15. Best Part of the Drive: Tree Tunnel on Maluhia Road off Highway 50


16. Best Random Find: Kona Caps--found a really cute Koa wood/bone anklet there

17. Best Pineapple: The Pineapple Store, next to Kona Caps

18. Best Mysterious View: Pu'u o Kila Lookout, at the end of Waimea Canyon Dr.

19. Best Guidebook: The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed by Andrew Doughty

20. Best New Experience: Snorkeling (uncomfortable but very cool at the same time)

I loved Kauai, and I really want to go back. But I'm also glad to be home. I really missed my bed and being able to have straight hair. :)

No comments: