Thursday, June 3, 2010

2 Down, 28 to Go!

The last day of school is not as magical this year as it was last year. Maybe because it was an easier year. Or because the year went by so fast. I don't know. But here I am at the anticlimactic end of year 2. My students are gone (except the random few that keep coming in to harass me), my computers are covered in trash bags, my equipment is packed and stored away, and I have all but 4 signatures left to get on my checkout form. I am also sick and coughing and tired and SO ready for a break!


Next year is supposed to be the best of my career--year 3!!! One more round of JPAS, and I will no longer be a provisional teacher. What's coming up next year? Here's what I've come up with so far:
  • CTE Careers, a class I've never taught before but will be teaching next year
  • 7 period work day (as opposed to the normal 6 periods)--I get a raise!
  • Doodle board. I've discovered kids love love LOVE writing on the board. See below. So I'm thinking I might turn a couple bulletin boards into doodle boards for kids who deserve a reward.
  • Round 3 of Tech 2--I've been building curriculum for that class inch by inch every year. 1st year I introduced electronics (and that unit needs A LOT of work), and this year I introduced domes, balsa towers, Google Sketchup, Maglev cars, HTML, and I used Snap Circuit kits for Electronics. Next year, I want to add a video project or solid-fuel rockets. Or maybe robots. Or pneumatics and hydraulics. Or animation. You get the idea.
  • I'm going to try to make keyboarding a little more fun. I'm thinking Keyboarding Olympics--like have a race where a team has to type a paragraph using the left hand of teammate 1 and the right hand of teammate 2, or something like that. Maybe.
  • I'm going to try to do better communicating with parents next year.
  • I'm going to make more giant dome decorations for my ceiling. Maybe another turtle? Or an igloo. Or Bowser.
Right, that's all I can think of for now. Overall, it's been a good year. I'm excited for the next. But it's a good good good thing I get a long vacation first. :)

No comments: