Today was teacher work day--meaning, teachers come in and work, and the kids get to stay home and sleep. We always get the day before the new quarter off so we can finish grades and prepare for the next round. I had a tech guy in my room all day today, networking my computer lab so I can better control what students do to my computers. It's glorious, and I'm so ready for those 150 new kids tomorrow. Bring it on, punks!
I watched Obama's inauguration on my computer while I worked. Even though I failed miserably on both educating myself about the candidates AND actually voting, I was a lot more involved in this past election than any others I've been through. I listened to both sides (mostly from my parents and my sister and brother-in-law), I tried to catch the debates, I ...sort of...followed the news. After all that, I was sure of only one thing: I didn't like either candidate. Therefore, I had NO idea who to vote for. So I guess it was lucky that I was on a road trip on election day and never got a chance to vote. But anyway, getting back on track...
I watched the inauguration and listened to President Obama's speech (that's right, I actually LISTENED!) and left the video stream going until I went home. When I left school, I was actually feeling vaguely hopeful. I liked Obama's speech. It was full of values and moral fiber. And I love how he put the responsiblity back on us, the people. Really, it's our choices and actions that make this country. If we don't take a little ownership for what we do, then our country is never going to get better. As a teacher, I deal with little buggers who refuse to take responsbility for what they do. They break rules and don't understand why they have to face the consequences. They screw around all semester and then come in on the last day bawling, "What can I do to raise my grade?!" It drives me nuts!! And it's not just dumb kids who do this--lots of people do. And I guess that's what sold me today. I really hope that Obama is able to kick this nation into shape. Or at least get us on the right track again. I'm not so naive that I think Obama will wave his magic wand and everything will be right; I'm also not so cynical that I don't believe in hope. I have hope. That's about all I have, some days.
On a random note, I heard on ABC that the Obama girls are going on a scavenger hunt around the White House and watching movies while their parents go to a ball tonight. They picked "High School Musical" (3?) and "Bolt". How cute!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
A couple of comments:
1) No fair getting a special day to work on grades.
2) Good job on listening to the speech.
3) I'm glad you told me about the Presidential magic wand. I'd never heard of that before, and I would have been pissed if I had become eligible for the presidency (age 35) without knowing about it.
Ah, yes, the Presidential magic wand. I don't think Bush knew about it either.
You should come work in Jordan District. Then you'd get a special "no kids while I finish grading" day too! :)
Post a Comment